Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Mighty Mississippi

NO THURSDAY THIRTEEN TODAY

Scans of some of my old slides today folks. Taken in June of 1984, when Lovely Fiance and I took a day trip to Natchez, Mississippi.

This first one was taken of the bridge between Vidalia, Louisiana where I lived for 9 years as a kid (far side) and Natchez, Mississippi (close side). When Lovely Wife was growing up and they made trips that happened to cross the Mississippi River, her Mom made sure everyone was awake. Needed to be awake to look at the Mighty Mississippi.

A nice soothing photo of the lush landscape in the Natchez Trace Parkway. I can smell the rich earth, hear the crickets and locust, and feel the sweat running down my back from the incredible heat and humidity.


There are still sections of the actual original Natchez Trace, the road itself that is, within the park. The Loess, or wind blown dirt in the area, is soft and over the centuries the road was worn down into the ground.


A sign explaining Emerald Mound within the Natchez Trace Parkway. If you look at the lower part of the sign, you see the shape of the mound that the indians built. Look at the smaller mound on the upper left part of that mound drawing. It has a ceremonial hut on it.


This photo is from the base of Emerald Mound looking up at the upper mound I asked you to look for in the above photo's drawing of the mound.


This is a great place to visit. Great for picnics and interesting too. I've put photos on this blog and talked about the Natchez Trace Parkway before. If you care to visit the previous posts, they are HERE, and HERE.

Toodles.

2 comments:

Chelle said...

Beautiful photos. Makes me want to go on vacation. Of course, there isn't much that doesn't make me want to go on vacation but still; pretty pictures :)

JAM said...

Thank you. I love a good getaway myself. Plus I love to wander and take photos. It's easier and the thrill is more immediate these days with digital photography.