Friday, September 22, 2006

Yesterday Morning Was SOOO Strange

First. I overslept. No big surprise there, my alarm clock is in the throes of death and it's now-barely-audible alarm, well I just turned it off in my sleep I guess.

What woke me up?

A humongus BOOM-BOOM! at about 6:15am.

It was the Space Shuttle's double boom that rocks our house as it flies north up the Florida coast to Kennedy Space Center as it returns from space.

The BOOM-BOOM is followed closely by Number Two Daughter coming into our room with a frantic: "WHAT was THAT?!"

Lovely Wife (half asleep): "Space Shuttle."

Number Two Daughter (relieved): "Oh."

Shuts door.

Now the double BOOM has jarred me from sleep, but my waking thought was "I forgot to go to a meeting yesterday!", which, combined with the incredible noise of the booms, got the ol' ticker just a-goin.

And one of our dogs, that is afraid of thunder, which must be what the double boom sounds like to her, jumps over me and lays against my head on my pillow. I guess she reasoned, "To heck with sleeping by their feet if it's gonna be thundering, I'd rather die by one of my people's heads."

Kinda hard to sleep with a dog laying partly on my head.

I get up. Get ready. Go to work. Plenty of pressure to get certain things done at work.

I go by the guy's office whose meeting I missed to appologize. He's not there. Make mental note to see him later.

Wonder why my Microsoft Outlook didn't pop up a meeting reminder like it usually does.

Continue working.

Late in the morning, a meeting notice pops up on my computer screen reminding me of the meeting I missed yesterday.

Why the heck, is this STUPID program reminding me a day late? Grrr!

I open Microsoft Outlook calendar. It is Thursday, September 21, 2006. The meeting was scheduled for Thursday, September 21, 2006.

Hmmm. Now let me think here a minute...

Holy cow! It's only Thursday! I thought it was Friday! All morning! I didn't miss the meeting! I have an extra day to get things done at work! Yipee!

Now normally, I hate it when this happens, because it feels like somebody added 100 pounds of rocks to my backpack, you know?

But yesterday it was a relief, because of the things I want to get done at work. It seems like I was given more time to get it done, which LESSENED the pressure.

Whew!

And the kicker? One of the first things I did yesterday was to get on the computer and post my Thursday Thirteen to this blog.

That's right. I spent all Thursday morning, in near panic, thinking it was Friday and that I had missed a meeting. All of this AFTER posting my Thursday Thirteen.

I'm such a retard.

And this isn't the first time I've done this either.

But that's another post.


Well, yesterday was the first day of fall. And. I haven't posted any photos in four days, so I thought I would put one up today.

It's not really a fall colors photo, but it was fall in Tennessee in November of 1983 (methinks). I've always loved this shot. It was a crisp, cold day, but the sun was out and the sky an impossible blue.

It looked like heaven to this Louisiana boy.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Usually I don't like that when it happens, because then it means it's not as close to the weekend as I think it is =P But in your situation that is totally good! I know what you mean about blog posting too...Well, like right now for instance. I could be doing school...or I could be checking my comments and commenting on others blogs...

yeesh.

Oh, do you have blogger beta, by the way? What's different from regular blogger?

JAM said...

So many people have switched to beta, that I finally did it myself. It supposedly gives you much more control over how your page looks, etc., but the biggest difference I've seen, since I'm too lazy to want to change my page, is that it posts my posts faster than the regular blogger.

I guess more control is a good thing, but I mainly did it hoping it would be easier to leave comments. Not so much, though.

I just went to the blogger dashboard to where there are Q&A, and found one on how to switch to beta. It mainly consisted of getting a Google username and password, and then it took over and transferred my stuff into the new format.

The actual blog page looks the same, but there are differences in your dashboard thingy for the template, and so forth.

It's not that big of a deal, but I figgered Blogger would make us shift to it eventually anyway.