Saturday, September 23, 2006

Black and White

As much as it grieves me to do so, I'm gonna have to work some this weekend. It's been a stressful week, so I'd rather not, but I have some things that, come Monday, will make me feel better if I put in some time over the weekend. Ya know what I mean? It doesn't bother me much, because I've worked jobs with horrible hours and days off, so having to work the occasional weekend isn't too much to ask of myself. I get most of them off. As a young man, I could only dream of having a good paying day job with weekends off. College really paid off in that respect.

I say all of that to say this. What you are getting out of me here this weekend are photos I have already on my computer.

Here are a few more Black and White photos from my photography courses at Northeast Louisiana University, in Monroe, Louisiana. (The school has changed it's name to The University of Louisiana at Monroe)


This first photo is of the Louisville Street bridge over the Ouachita River, with the river at flood level. This would have probably been in 1983.


This is one of those photos where I have to sit and wonder why I took it. What works for me here is all of the straight lines going off in all directions; the edges of the wood, the tines on the rakes, the handles. It's chaotic, but the straight lines are the common thread. It looked better contrasty like this, with the film's grain kinda strong too.


I have always liked the lines of this. This was one of the photos I mounted and turned in for part of my grade. There are straight lines, that big loop of rope, the items in the photo are contrasty on their own, and the textures of the wood and concrete. It's a simple photo, but there's lots of visual interest. For me at least.


Yet another photo where I just took it without thinking, but later realize that part of the weathered stick mimicks the shape of the edge of the rock. But ultimately the photo seemed to be missing something. I played around with it in Photoshop Elements, and the gaussian blur softened the image a bit and now it looks much better to me. The wonders of modern technology, though I used to do this stuff in the darkroom too, but I didn't think of it with this photo back then.


The fungus is among us. Another photo I played around with in Photoshop Elements until it was interesting enough to post.

No comments: