Saturday, September 16, 2006

A Few Slide Scans (Bonus Photos #3)

I've been in a photo mood lately. Even more than usual. I like working with them, and scanning slides and archiving them is actually fun. It's a long, slow process, but a few at a time, I'm slowly making headway. I may be through with scanning slides and negatives in around 2012. That's no joke. I could put 5 per day here and have a few years worth without even taking a camera out for new stuff.

Give these a click.


This is a crop of one of my slides from around 1983. The bottom half of the original was the roof of a neighbor's home in Louisiana. It was nice to be able to crop that out and leave this incredible sky and sliver of moon. Slight adjustments in Photoshop Elements, the slide has these colors, I had to brighten it overall though.

This was taken in Lovely Wife's family's back yard on Christmas day 1982. This was one of the rare times that Louisiana got one of those arctic blasts when the jet stream dipped really far south. The high ambient temperature that day was like 15 degrees F, -9 C, and the chill factor stayed around 0 F, -17 C. The sky was amazing though. I liked the clouds framing the sky, and the trees framing the clouds.


A small tallow tree sapling taken one fall, 1982, methinks. I liked the backlight that made the leaves glow. This is a slight crop, the original had a bit of distracting background along the very top of the frame.


This is the after sunset colors over the Ouachita River looking from Monroe, Louisiana toward West Monroe. I was taking photos of the flood waters, the river was at a near record high and was half way up the levee I was standing on next to Forsyth Park. While the sunset itself was not that special, for some reason, the colors afterward were amazing. Similar colors to the first photo, eh?

2 comments:

Wingnut said...

Awesome, great stuff!

JAM said...

Thank you. It's fun to revisit my old slides. I always loved the color of slides but the handling and viewing was the pits. But to me, it was worth it. It will be nice to get them scanned and archived. Slide shows on holidays was always a family event around here.

Taking photos on slide film for all those years, I learned to crop in the viewfinder. But there were always a few that because of conditions, I just took the photo anyway, knowing there was stuff in there I wish wasn't. So now, with scanning and computers, I can play darkroom on the computer and crop at will.

Thanks for stopping by.