Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Embryonic Stem Cell Research / Stem Cell Research

If you have read more than just a few of my posts you'll probably have a good idea as to where I would stand on this issue.

As I go out into blog land and read the news and listen to some radio, I keep hearing something that bothers me.

The main stream media portrays all Christian fundamentalists as being against all stem cell research.

I want to be as clear on this issue as I know how to be.

Christians in general, are only against fetal/embryonic stem cell research. I say again, Christians in general, are only against fetal stem cell research.

Without jumping too far into the whole abortion debate, let me say this: I believe that human life begins at conception. I believe that abortion, legal or not, kills a human baby. To then take aborted fetuses and use them for medical research for stem cells, has crossed the line in my opinion. Or, to create test tube babies who live only to die in medical experiments resulting from fetal stem cell research has also crossed the line. Again, in my opinion.

But fetal stem cells are just the tip of the iceberg. They haven't even been shown to be the most promising stem cells for research into Parkinson's and other diseases as some claim. The ability to get stem cells for research, outside of using fetuses, is infinite.

There is no law against fetal stem cell research in America. Just can't spend tax (public) money on it. Public money can, and is spent on non-fetal stem cell research in America every day. No one has to die for that either.

Christians I know, and ones I've read in print, on the internet, and on TV overwhelmingly support non-fetal stem cell research. That includes me.

To sum up here:

CHRISTIANS SUPPORT STEM CELL RESEARCH, JUST NOT FETAL STEM CELL RESEARCH.

I found this July 17th editorial by Michael Reagan, Ronald Reagan's oldest son, on the internet that inspired me to talk about this:

Here's a quote from the Michael Reagan editorial that just nailed the whole issue like I wish I could have done:

It's important to remember that there is no ban on embryonic stem cell research. Anyone who wants to do it is free to do so, he or she just can't do it on the public's dollar. If it held the promise that proponents claim, top pharmaceutical companies would be vying for chances to throw their research dollars at it. After all, if it worked as promised they could expect to make huge profits. That they don't see such prospects should tell us something.


This isn't any easy subject. Plus, even the best estimates put any real world help from this line of research at years and years away.

But, this was on my mind lately, and when I saw that editorial, I said to myself that it was time to talk a bit about it myself.

'Nuff said.

No comments: