Sunday, October 29, 2006

Picture Post, Sunday October 29, 2006

Note: Thanks to all who wrote and said they would pray for Lovely Wife. She's doing pretty well. Still in a fair amount of pain, but is up and about and moving much better than the first couple of days after the surgery.


Today's pics are all over time and space. I've been scanning more slides, so that's what's on the slate for today.

This first photo is of Lovely Wife, taken many years ago in Fort Lauderdale on a trip.

This one is also from that Fort Lauderdale trip. The slide looks almost black and white due to the exposure and the overcast sky, so I went ahead and changed it to a black and white photo. It looks better this way than the color one. I know this slide isn't very special, but at the time, I was totally captivated by the canals and how folks in Ft. Lauderdale could drive their cars into the front of the property and a boat from the rear. So I always loved this photo because it reminded me of some of the beautiful neighborhoods we saw there.

This is the final Ft. Lauderdale photo. It's looking south along the Atlantic coast. I remember how much warmer it was than it had been when we left Louisiana. It seemed delicious to stand in the warm air when a day or two before it was in the 30s (F) in Monroe. The ocean smell was pretty awesome too.

This photo was taken a couple of weeks before the trip to Ft. Lauderdale, and is of Lake D'Arbonne near Farmerville, Louisiana. The lake was frozen for about 50 feet all around the shore. D'Arbonne is a man made lake from damming D'Arbonne Bayou.

This photo was taken at Forsythe Park in Monroe, Louisiana. It's the side of a building for playing handball. I've always like the lines, shadow, and that little Charlie Brown Christmas tree looking tree there.

This last one is of Youger Brother, on his 14th birthday. Living a thousand miles from him gives me the courage to post this. But it's a good visual representation of his sense of humor.
Have a great Sunday. Ours is sunny and in the low 70's with a nice breeze. All the windows are open and the dogs are barking at all the new sounds they can't normally hear.

3 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

Hope your wife's surgery goes well. As for scanning slides, what do you use? I have tons of slides and no method of getting the images on my computer? Oh, and who are the Galactic Cowboys? Never heard of them.

JAM said...

I have a four year old Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II, which will scan either mounted slides or film strip negatives. It is a rather slow process, but once I had spent several months off and on and had finally come up with what worked best for me, it is really fun. It is still slow though. I desperately need a faster computer, it would speed this process up immensely.

The other side of this was learning to get the most out of my Photoshop Elements 4.0 program. It is a very good bang-for-the-buck photo editing program. It's less than $100, usually around $70, and is a great tool.

The Galactic Cowboys were a rock band based out of Houston, that formed around 1990 and were signed by Geffen records and were hoping to be the next big thing in metal, but then Nirvana appeared on the scene and the record companies dropped the metal guys like hot potatoes in favor of finding new grunge bands. Their last album was in 2000. So they put out five or six cds over that time. They were friends with the guys in King's X, also from Houston and had similar music, though the GC songs are usually more humorous and sometimes even silly just for fun. I loved them, and being a guitar fan, they had some of the best guitar of any band I've heard. You can probably hear some sound bits on Amazon.com to see if you like them. They are not everyones taste, but they were fun AND rocked.

Thanks for the concern for my wife. She is doing pretty well, though she ended up in much more pain than either of us thought. But she is much better, and gets up and walks a lot, but is still very sore.

P.S. Do you have an email address where I could send you something? I don't want you to have to broadcast an email address if you would rather not, but if you could, just look at my profile and send an email to me at the email link for me there and I'll send you this file. I scan lots of my old printed photos that I have no negatives for and have gotten pretty good at color corecting them, and I find photos on the internet to practice with, and I downloaded your childhood photo with the bible the other day do practice with because it had color shifted. I wanted to send you a color corrected version to let you see it.

Anonymous said...

very nice blog!
My name is Franco Di Giacomo
Would it make fun for you,
to make money in the Internet?
(Income for Life!)
Yes?
NEW Business, see the GDI video
www-franco.blogspot.com