Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Immigrant Song / Circuit Card Test

Yesterday, when I was coming home from work, the sun had just gone down and the sky was this blueish purple that I've only ever seen near the ocean.

It is such a pretty and relaxing thing to me, to see the sky like that.

And although it's still getting into the upper 80's (F) every day, the mornings and evenings are beyond perfect.

So I was driving home with the windows down. I was listening to a CD, but wanted to hear one of the other ones that I didn't have in the car with me. So I turned on the radio, and flip around, trying to find something to match the pleasant mood that the beautiful evening induced.

We have a smooth jazz station here, but the jazz they play is the more up tempo, complicated stuff that makes my blood pressure rise instead of the more mellow relaxing smoother smooth jazz. So that didn't work.

I finally turned on a rock station, right at the beginning of Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin.

Though it's loud and fast, it was the perfect song for cruising down I-95 on a stupendously beautiful Florida evening.

Rock On!


Have you ever had one of those days, where you really, really cannot trust yourself?

First, this is the first time in quite a while where I didn't post early in the morning, so I'm doing it at lunch like I did when I first started my blog.

And to give you an example of what I'm talking about:

I'm trying to test a circuit card this morning. I have to use a UNIX machine to do it. I'm using a particular program on this UNIX computer to do a certain test. One of the commands I have to enter into the program on this UNIX computer is "BERResult4 150000".

Now the thing about this is that each portion of the test takes about 10 minutes to run. So when I type BERResult4 150000 and hit enter, the test starts. If I screw up that command slightly, however, the whole test setup just goes off into the weeds somewhere and it takes a while to restart everything and get back to where I was.

All of that is to say this, I'm in the habit now, of pausing for a few seconds before I enter whatever command, to make sure it's right. This saves me a lot of time and frustration in the course of a day.

But today, several times, I've typed in things like: "the BERResult4 150000". That simple "the" that I added there would hose things up to where I would lose about 10 minutes just getting everything set back up.

I've caught myself making almost-mistakes like that all morning.

I'm just having one of THOSE days.

Is it time to go to bed yet?

No comments: