Tuesday, October 03, 2006

It Came From Outa The Sky

True story.

For a long time after we moved to Florida, I took advantage of our lunch period where I work to go sit in my car by either the Atlantic Ocean, or the Indian River Lagoon, several days per week. I still do once in a while.

In the winter months, there's usually a lot of dolphins and manatees in the Indian River Lagoon, which I never tire of seeing.

And back then, I was still blown away by how Florida-ey things looked. Palm Trees in cow pastures; that was a sight to behold.

Anyway, one day, I was sitting on the Indian River Lagoon at a local park and enjoying the water vista. I was eating a whopper or something, and I looked down to take a bite, when something ZOOMED! out of the sky and SPLASHED in the water right in front of my car.

I had just caught the action out of the corner of my eye, and it was enough to really, really startle me. I looked up to where the splash had taken place, and there floated a single pelican, looking all nonchalant, as if he had been there chilling out the whole time.

He had a "it wadn me!" look on his face. Well not really, but he was floating there all calm, like he'd been there all morning, in total contrast to the amazing Kamikaze manoeuvre he arrived with.

I laughed at him for a bit.

And then I laughed at me.

It sure made THAT lunch memorable.


Here's a coupla more slides from my scanning this past weekend. Flowers, or 'flars' in Louisiana.


2 comments:

Wingnut said...

funny, pelicans should be called clumsicans, lmao

The top flower is lovely, but I LOVE the bagonia, the pinks in the flower, and a trace in the edge of the leaves, and just the shape of the leaves in the background really make it come together, very well done!

JAM said...

Thank you. At the time, I didn't have a lens that would let me get very close, so I bought a nice set of close up filters that I ended up loving to use. I used them in these photos.