Saturday, October 14, 2006

Petit Jean State Park, Arkansas, U.S.

Scanning more slides, I've recently scanned a batch I took on a visit to Petit Jean State Park, in Arkansas. It was Arkansas's first State Park, and is in Northwest Arkansas.

This would have been in 1983, and I went with Lovely Fiance and her family.

Petit Jean is an interesting story about a real person. (I almost wrote 'real live person', but Petit Jean has been dead, lo these many years.)

This first one is from an overlook on top of Petit Jean Mountain, looking over the Arkansas River.

Lovely Fiance, showing again, she's not afraid of getting close to the edge.

This is Petit Jean's grave, right close to the overlook in the above photos. It's where she requested to be buried.

This is way down at the base of the Petit Jean Mountain, after hiking down one heckuva trail. But seeing Cedar Creek and the beautiful forest was worth the effort. Plus, I was only 20 then and still thought I was superman. (except for getting close to the edges of cliffs)

This is Cedar Falls, the final destination of the difficult trek over a couple of miles of rough terrain. This is one beautiful place.
If you haven't already done so, go back up and click the Petit Jean link I put up there. It' is truly an interesting story about a courageous woman.

Go on, git!

No comments: