Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sushi

OK. I will admit here that I've never even tried sushi.

I know that sashimi is raw fish (or other raw seafood), not sushi, and that sushi is actually vinegar and rice.

But that's beside the point.

The point is, there are many things in this world that I will not eat, simply because I cannot mentally deal with eating these things. Not that they taste bad, or that the consistency is gross, but I simply can't wrap my head around eating certain things.

Plus, I'm from Louisiana. I might not know much, but I DO KNOW that fish is supposed to be battered in cornmeal and deep fried.

I know that sushi is a popular thing, if for no other reason that some people think it's cool to eat sushi. Kind of like how some people think smoking makes them look cool or driving a sports car makes them look cool. The fact that neither is true is beside the point to these people.

So, you have folks all over the place now eating sushi, or more correctly, sashimi, but who cares?

I guess I do a little bit, just enough to write a blog post making fun of people who eat the stuff.

And don't get me started on people who claim to LOVE calamari, fried squid, another thing I can't mentally deal with eating. At least they fried it though; I approve of the cooking method.

All of that brings me to this photo that I took outside the Walmart in Sebastian, Florida a few days ago:
Yes, Lovely Wife and I are two of the unwashed masses who shop at Walmart for almost everything, thus hastening the sure destruction of the American way of life, at least according to my cubicle neighbor at work.

I'll buy some good sliced turkey and good cheese at Walmart with nary a thought about it's safety, but seeing that Walmart has a sushi bar sure did stop me in my tracks.

And luckily I happened to have my trusty Nikon D70s on my shoulder while having to stop and ponder the significance of the use of "sushi bar" and "Walmart" in the same sentence. (I have trouble walking and thinking simultaneously.)

So I took this photo just to prove to y'all I'm not a liar.

I can just hear all the sushi snobs in America talking to one another, "Hey, Hon? What ya say we run down to Walmart for some sushi? I don't feel like cooking."

Apparently Walmart doesn't feel like cooking either.

5 comments:

Qtpies7 said...

Haha! I saw that at our Walmart here in MN, too! I don't think I was as shocked as you were, though. But I also eat fried calamari. Though not sushi by any name.
My husband ate it while in Japan, and no other time.
I have had calamari that I liked, and calamari that I hated. It is much better at a fast food type joint in onion ring shapes than at a fancy restaurant.

Qtpies7 said...

Oh, and I didn't know what it was when I tried it, my husband knew better than to tell me it was squid.

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

I like the fact that Walmart spelled "welcome" with two "l's".

However, I LOVE calamari if it's cooked right and I really enjoy good sushi--and I'm no foo-foo who eats stuff to be cool. In fact, most people would tell you that I'm a complete dork.

The Rock Chick said...

I tried to jump on the sushi/sashimi bandwagon. Don't even try it. It's gross.

Once when we were out to dinner, my friend ordered this friend octopus. My mind said not to eat it, but I tried it anyway. It was like eating deep friend rubber bands.

I'll stick with my regular old American dinner food :)

Jessica

Carina said...

Yup, I'm with you. I don't care how delicious and expensive it is. I'm not eating raw fish. period. From Wal-mart or not.

I have the same issues with caviar.