Saturday, April 29, 2006

Canada


Being from Louisiana, and having grown up seeing national weather reports only showing the lower 48 states, I think of Minnesota and Maine as having brutal winters.

On the occasion in Louisiana, or anywhere in the south for that matter, when an arctic blast will bring down cold weather, it rarely gets below 20 degrees F ambient, and 0 degrees F with the wind chill factored in. But growing up hearing about the coldest spot of the day in the U.S. being usually in International Falls, MN, or Caribou, ME, I think of those places as being pretty rough in winter (putting it mildly).

But when I REALLY think about it, I realize that the WHOLE COUNTRY OF CANADA IS NORTH OF MINNESOTA AND MAINE!

BRRRR! (I DID go to Louisiana public schools, remember? Cut me some slack for slowness.)


And Florida? Fugettaboutit. We've been here over nine years and I don't own a winter coat. All I have is a sweat shirt type hoodie thingy. I honestly only remember the offical Melbourne airport temperature reaching freezing ONE night in those nine years. It might have been, say, three or four times because I don't keep up with it, but whoop…eee.


No wonder there are so many Canadian car lisence plates to be seen in Florida in the winter. It's probably cheaper to come here than to keep their houses heated to comfortable living temperatures through a whole winter.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Yeah, our winters suck. I mean, I like snow, just not -30 degrees (Celsius) and biting, killer winds. Brrrr. And yeah, our heating bill like, eats our money in the winter. I think you're right..it WOULD probably be chaper to go to Florida than pay it...hmmm...