Monday, March 27, 2006

Lazy American! Grrr Unix! I Owe My Mother!


Them Furriners!
You know, if you just do some blogger surfing by jumping from blog to blog via the ‘next blog’ button on the top right of the blogger.com screen (I love to do this), it’s amazing how many non-English blogs you come across.

I’m not complaining, it just amazes me that there are that many typefaces for all the different languages. Pretty cool.

Wish I could read ‘em.

But, I’m the typical lazy capitalist American. Don’t care enough to learn a second language. Although I did take two years of Spanish in high school, but that was in 1977/’78 and 1978/’79, so I can only remember stuff like ‘manana’ and ‘hola’ and ‘qual es la fecha de hoy’ (what is the date of today). Pretty sad, huh?

I like to look at the people’s pictures, even if I can’t read what they are writing about.

Gibberish
And what the heck is with so many sites being in pure gibberish? Like this: http://iscatrampthis.blogspot.com/

And this: http://fromdannershoesen.blogspot.com/

I just don’t get it. They read like some of that ‘spoken word’ junk.



Unix
At work I have to use both Windows and Unix computers. It's really not that big of a deal, but what ends up bugging me, aside from having to learn crypic commands for Unix like the old DOS days, is that the Sun Unix keyboard is laid out slightly different. The backspace key is in a different place. The caps lock and control keys are in a different place.

So what ends up happening, if you are a marginal typist like myself, is trying to correct a mistake with the backspace key creates more mistakes. Same with the contol and caps lock. I spend half of my time correcting the corrections on the Unix machine.

Like I said, not that big of a deal but after a while on Unix my stress level has gotten high because getting work done on it is so much slower. Similar to the way I feel when I have one of those days where I keep dropping things.

Grrrr!



Things from: I Owe My Mother! that my mother actually said.

4. My mother taught me LOGIC.
"Because I said so, that's why."

6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.
"Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."

7. My mother taught me IRONY.
"Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about."

11. My mother taught me about WEATHER.
"This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it."

16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
"Just wait until we get home"

17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING
"You are going to get it when you get home!"

24. My mother taught me WISDOM.
"When you get to be my age, you'll understand."

No comments: