Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tagged for the IMDb Movie Meme

OK. So my spotty blog reading for the past couple of months has finally caught up with me.


I was reading at Emily's blog at Emily@sk, and found out second hand, that I had been tagged for a meme a while back (May 17!) by Sarah K. at IMAO.

I'm so ashamed.

Anyone who reads here much knows that I don't forward tags by name, I just tell anyone who wants to do the meme to just do it on their own.

It's a meme that takes reader participation.

Pick out ten favorite movies, then look them up at IMDb. In the overview at the top of each movie’s page, there are “Plot Keywords,” usually five of them. (Plus more, if you click the link.) Take the first five, and post them. Then the rest of us get to play movie buff and see if we can guess them.

This is not an easy game, the plot keywords for super popular movies can be really cryptic. Some of my favorite movies are old and/or obscure, so I'll try to pick ones that folks can guess the names of.

Because, seriously, Sarah K. posted 50 movie's plot keywords and I could only guess at maybe two out of 50, and I don't know if those two possibilities are right.

Numbers are my thing; this is not the kind of game I'm good at. This one is hard like watching Jeopardy! and they throw in a category of Elizabethan Poetry or Great Composers; I majored in electrical engineering so I wouldn't have to learn useless crap like that, THANK you very much. (Please forgive me if you majored in Elizabethan poetry or love classical music.)

1. Outer Space / Ancient Astronaut / Rebellion / Reluctant Hero / Invented Language

2. Virtuality / Interstellar Communication / No Opening Credits / Seti / Ham Radio

3. Ethics / Biographical / Famous Score / Historical / Olympics

4. Car Accident / Thrown Through Windshield / Mummy / Amazon / Death

5. Bayou / Lawn Mower / Coach / College / Ridicule

6. Alien Abduction / Conspiracy / Desert / Air Traffic Controller / Evacuation

7. Insult / Hopelessness / Sword / Loss Of Loved One / Famous Line

8. Beautiful Woman / Great Depression / Stroke / Old Dark House / Dysfunctional Family

9. Whimsical / Young Girl / Fantasy / Little Boy / Kidnap

10. Louisiana / Jail / Stephen King / Shooting / Film Projector

Now after looking at these, I wouldn't recognize any of them except for one, and I chose them myself!

Maybe this meme should go for the first seven or ten plot keywords to give folks a chance.

If you're looking for a blog post subject, consider yourself tagged and look up ten of your favorite movies on IMDb.

If you're good at things like this, leave your guesses in the comments.

6 comments:

Emily said...

1. The Fifth Element! It's gotta be.

3. Chariots of Fire.

6. Independance Day?

7. The Princess Bride?

That's all I'm gonna throw out there right now. =P

JAM said...

1. is NOT Fifth Element

3. Is indeed Chariots of Fire.

6. Is NOT Independence Day

7. IS Princess Bride.

JAM said...

It's obvious that Blogger.com's computers are going to implode under the weight of the comments on this blog alone, so I'm giving the answers away.

1. (Stargate)
2. (Contact)
3. (Chariots Of Fire)
4. (Raiders of the Lost Ark)
5. (The Waterboy)
6. (Close Encounters of the Third Kind)
7. (Princess Bride)
8. (It's a Wonderful Life)
9. (Peter Pan)
10. (The Green Mile)

JAM said...

Emily, now that I look at them, your guess of Fifth Element fits the plot keywords from Stargate better than Stargate does.

Olga said...

DRAT! you gave the answers away!!!
I had guessed #2 and #3 and I was gonna see what others guessed and then THE SPOILER!!!!! But now that I see what they are, your hints were pretty vague.or maybe I saw different movie versions???

Julie said...

Hmm that was very interesting JAM! I must admit though I am not really a movie watcher anymore. I, like you are a Jeopardy fan from WAY back!