Thursday, April 26, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #36


13 Photographs Taken With My New Lens

A few weeks ago, I bought a Nikon 18-200mm VR lens for my digital camera. I LOVE it.

Then Tuesday afternoon I looked on Cute Overload and saw that some pictures I had made of a baby sandhill crane had made the cut, and had been posted on their site. Wuhoo!

There's a verse in the Bible that I'll paraphrase here, If any man thinks he's standing, he better beware, he just might be about to fall. Instead of being able to bask in the glory of my successful entry into Cute Overload, my back was so messed up yesterday that I had to stay home from work. That's life, eh?

So I'm taking the easy way out on this week's Thursday Thirteen and am posting 13 recent photos taken with my new lens (did I mention that I LOVE it?), including a few more of the baby sandhill crane and family.

Give them a click to enlarge.

1. Sandhill crane in Melbourne, Florida.


2. Baby was with two adults, one of which honked at me in crane, saying, "Not one step closer buddy." (I speak fluent crane.)







3. Tsk, tsk, they didn't look both ways before crossing the road.













4. Baby runs from one parent to the other.
5. Dad, I think. His red was brighter than the other adult's.













6. A surfer at Sebastian Inlet State Park, Florida.










7. A plastic flower in our fountain.










8. Jetty at Sebastian Inlet State Park.










9. A boat heading west toward the Indian River Lagoon through Sebastian Inlet.










10. Under the bridge over Sebastian Inlet.










11. Some green stuff, kelp, seaweed, or whatever growing in the water of Sebastian Inlet.










12. Two brown pelicans silhouetted against the sunlight reflecting on the water in Sebastian Inlet.










13. Little birds looking for food in Sebastian Inlet.










NOW DO YOU SEE WHY I SAY, "I LOVE THIS LENS?"


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

30 comments:

Di said...

Love the pictures...we frequent Merritt Island, so I know the area.

Unknown said...

Nice pictures! That must be a nice new lense you've picked up!! :)

Leanne said...

WOW!

Can I borrow your camera for a couple'a days?!

:drools:

Anonymous said...

I love the photo of the pelicans - #12. Can't way to see more of your photos in future postings.

I'm all about cows on parade (photos) this week (no 10). Do stop by!

Anonymous said...

Uh hu. I can see why. Great shots!

Sharon Lynne said...

I really enjoy your photos because it gives me an idea of what Florida s like. Before your blog, I just thought it was something like the old show "Miami Vice", with lot's of crime, drugs and wierd people running around.

In some ways it reminds me of California. The beach, the temperature, flora, and the we have a lot of wierd people.

Tink said...

What a teriffic list of great pictures! I love the cranes. Congratulations on being the featured blog today!

My TT is a list of things I do on my computer.

Lady G~ said...

Great pictures! I see those cranes all the time around here too. The have an awesome wing span.

Lady G~ said...

LOL! Were you stationed there too?

Dane Bramage said...

Congrats on the Cute Overload and being a Thursday Thirteen featured Blog! I'll pray for your back!

My Thursday 13 is up. It's #39.

Anonymous said...

The flower looks real!

byoc said...

Those are just incredible. I'm so jealous! I love Florida, I wish I could take nice pics, and I wish I had a great camera, too!

Danielle said...

Really great pictures. We just recently got a digital camera it has a digital zoom and I'm still playing around with it.

Happy TT

Be well and enjoy the day

Anonymous said...

I love the sillouette of the brown pelicans. And the baby crane is real cute.
Beautiful pics!
Congrats on the new lens. Looking forward to seeing more awesome pics.

L^2 said...

Yay for the new lens! The photos are great and the baby cranes are so cute. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Janet said...

that baby crane is adorable! isn't it fun playing with a new lens?

Carina said...

Those are some truly beautiful pictures. I've never actually seen attractive seaweed before, but I really love the colors and textures of it in your pictures. Great job.

Lyn said...

Great pics! Thanks for stopping by. lgp

Lori's Light Extemporanea said...

Yes! I totally understand! The pictures are wonderful...happy Thursday!

kuanyin333 said...

Hey...I LOVE your news lens too...gotta get one for my digital! Happy TT!

Mitchypoo said...

Really cool pics! Love them. You have a talent. So sorry about the back, I know the pain and it isn't fun. Thanks for visiting, your comment made me chuckle!

http://mitchyoo777.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Great pics! :-)

Anonymous said...

The baby crane is sooo adorable, especially the picture when he/she is running from the parent. Aww!

Barb said...

Welcome back! Great pictures! You make me homesick :)

Cindy Swanson said...

Wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing, and for stopping by my TT.

Jenny McB said...

I loved #9, the boat moving, the birds just hanging out.

"When I grow up" I would love a fancier digital with changeable lenses. I like the immediacy of digital but need to work on playing with the lighting more. Great pictures, thank you for sharing.

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Those are wonderful photos! :) Terrific! My favourites are all the bird photos, especially the ones of the cranes. :) Very nice. :)

Mary said...

I ove you pictures! Believe it or not, my favorite is the plastic flower... so vibrant! I wouldn't have even guessed it wasn't real.

Thanks for visiting my 13, I gotta get back here more. :D

Anonymous said...

What Nikon do you use? I have a D70.

Great pics BTW.

theFrog said...

Great photos!