Thursday, April 12, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #34


13, When Was The Last Time You...



…needed to move a set of Logic Analyzer/Pattern Generator configuration files to a device that only accepts 3.5in floppy disks? (No way to send these large files over a network connection.)

…had trouble finding a "controlled" copy of said files, because your Configuration Management guy who controls these computer files just happens to be in class yesterday.

…out of 6 or 7 computers you had access to, you finally found one, ONE, with a copy of WINZIP on it?

…zipped up (compressed) a bunch of files, and divided them to be able to fit on 1.44MB, 3.5in floppy disks?

…but could only find one useable 1.44MB, 3.5in floppy disk?

…so you loaded up the first file on the 1.44MB, 3.5in floppy disk and transferred it to the Logic Analyzer/Pattern Generator?

…then deleted the first file and repeated the process with the other pieces of .zip file, over and over?

…then found the zip utility on the Logic Analyzer/Pattern Generator (thank God for miracles!) and made the four files back into one .zip file?

…then unzipped the reconstituted .zip file into it's constituent files, safely ensconced in a folder you carefully created for them on the Logic Analyzer/Pattern Generator?

…layed hands on the Logic Analyzer/Pattern Generator, prayed, and loaded one of the configuration files to see if it would accept the file after manipulating it like described above?

…explosively let out the breath you didn't realize you've been holding for the past little while because the file actually successfully configured the Logic Analyzer/Pattern Generator?

…tried each of the other formerly compressed and divided files, one by one, to ensure that they successfully configure the Logic Analyzer/Pattern Generator as well?

…wondered how a cutting edge engineering outfit could get in such a fix, dependent at times on 1993 technology?

So much for me wishing for the "good old days." I had enough of the good old days, yesterday.


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

20 comments:

none said...

When I had my PC repair and consulting business, there were several times when someone would ask me to upgrade their business server that ran 4 sattelite offices. more often than not it would be a 286 with those big 700k floppy drives and a 20mb hard drive.

I would have to refresh myself on dos and erase a bunch of old floppy dish video games I found in a closet to back everything up with an ancient shareware copy of zip. the whole time theie breathing down may neck saying the backup has been broken for several years and not to lose anything.

sheeh, I'm with you on the good old days. Although modern windows when it has a problem is 10 times harder to recover from. there is just no way to do it safely.

Mitchypoo said...

Wow, you are techno savvy. I didn't understand half of that, but OK. Thanks for visiting my TT.

Anonymous said...

I understood, WINZIP, .zip file, and floppy disks, but the rest is greek to me. Sounds like an awful lot of work. Are floppy disks still being used??

Have a great Thursday!

Carina said...

My husband is an engineer who works with magnetic storage media. He would've gotten your post, but you might as well have been speaking a foreign language to me. I picked up enough to know that you were quite frustrated. We all have those days (weeks, months, years...lives, whatever)

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Oh my goodness! That sounds like a nightmare! What a lot of work!

I'm not surprised you've had enough of the "good old days" after that.

Thanks for visiting. :)

Qtpies7 said...

Ok, that made me sick just reading it! Yikes! The bad thing is that my dh would know exactly what you are talking about, lol.
I'm glad my techie hubby keeps me up to date on my puter so I don't have to go crazy.
I fought him on XP for a LOOOOONG time, and now I wonder what all the fuss was about, its fine, lol.

Denise Patrick said...

I wish I understood half of what you were talking about.

thanks for dropping by my TT.

Unknown said...

Good list this week

Anonymous said...

LOL I can't say that any of this has happened to me ever. What a nightmare! I'd be pretty tired of the good old days after that experience as well.

Di said...

I kind of feel that way when I use someone's PC now that I am a registered Apple-phile!

Raggedy said...

That sounds like a nightmare!
Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
Thank you for your visit.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Tracy S said...

Huh??? In English now? ..lol I would have to answer with a never , I think..lol


Happy TT!!

Anonymous said...

I only understood some of that. LOL

Happy TT. :D

kuanyin333 said...

Man oh man---I need you on Maui! Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I can't imagine knowing all of those terms, let alone doing any of them. Sounds complicated and frustrating.

isa said...

LOL! You lost me at Logic Analyzer...but I'm still impressed ;-)

Thanks for visiting Naples, neighbor!

Gattina said...

Sorry but I never learned chinese at school, so I am unable to comment here, lol !

Jenny McB said...

This just wasn't a fun list for you, was it? How long and tedious it all sounds.

The little flash drives just amaze me! (doesn't take much)

Have a great weekend!

Kathy said...

I am really glad that it was you and not me! I would have lost all patience at step #3.
Thanks for sharing your terrific day! Haha!

Mercy's Maid said...

You lost me at "needed to move a set of Logic Analyzer..." :)