Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #24


Thirteen Things I've Thought or Noticed Recently


1. Noticed: Car bumper sticker that said: Vegetarian - An old indian word for lousy hunter.

2. Noticed: church sign in Mississippi - Today is a gift from God, that's why it's called the present.

3. Noticed: Bumper sticker on a pickup truck stating: Fish Tremble at the sound of my name.

4. Thought: Blue Bunny low carb Peanut Butter Fudge Ice Cream is like my own personal crack habit. That stuff is REALLY good, and it satisfies ye olde sweet toothe, as well as keeping me "legal" on my low carb eating.

5. Thought about something I Noticed: In the doctor's office one day, in the bathroom, when I went to wash my hands, I noticed the hand soap squirty thingy had a sticker on it advertising some sort of medicine or other. Jeesh. Those pharmaceutical companies never miss an opportunity to advertise, do they?

6. Thought about something I Noticed: I cannot force myself to use the "express" lane (20 items or less) in WalMart, even if I have 21 items. Why can't other people be guilt ridden like me, and why do the cashiers always let them get away with checking a half-full cart at the express lane? Hmmm?

7. Thought. I myself am one of those people who have complained about the THUMP and RATTLE of 800Watt stereos in a kid's 1993 Caprice. But I have to tell you, the Harley Davidson owners in my neighborhood are even worse. I'd love to have a Harley, and the guts to ride it around, but idiots who have their Harleys louder than old late 60's hot rods with straight pipes are even worse than the kid's thumping car stereos. New flash, that loud bike is only cool in your mind, nowhere else.

8. Thought: I need to get to one of the local branches of the Brevard County Library System. I haven't read very much fiction (my favorite) lately. I did read Ring World and Ring World Engineers by Larry Niven the two weeks after Christmas. Number One Daughter's boyfriend bought them for me for Christmas. I really liked them, and marvelled at how imaginative they were.

9. Thought: Hillary Clinton is running for POTUS. I have no problem with that. But in her announcement video, she spoke as if this decision arrived a day or two before. Yet, behind her, outside the window, everything was really green, and there were flowers right outside the window blooming. So, here's my problem. How did she just arrive at her decision to run, when it was obviously still summer at the very least outside her home when the video was made? To me, that's just dumb. Why lie about something that doesn't matter anyway? Just be honest and say that you decided to run last summer, but waited until now to announce it? Now she just looks like a liar, and over something stupid too.

10. Thought: I'm 44, but this morning my joints feel like they're 144. It's really cool and rainy in Florida this today, and I feel it.

11. Thought: Internet Explorer 7 didn't work for me. I was a good boy and downloaded it and tried to use it, but it killed several other programs on our computer. I had to uninstall it, uninstall the problem programs, and then reinstall the programs to get them to work properly again. I use Firefox a lot, but some things still only work with Internet Explorer, so I need it on the computer. Beware of IE7! Plus, it's layout of controls is dumb and unintuitive. IE7 is a total bust of an "upgrade" in my opinion.

12. Thought: Today I'll wear a jacket for only the second time this winter.

13. Thought: I'm seriously running out of ideas for this Thursday Thirteen thing. I might have to turn it over to my alter-ego, The Party Pooper. But he's pretty darn cynical and may drive off the three people who actually read this blog.


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

16 comments:

Qtpies7 said...

I can't use the express lane if I have too many items either, unless the store is close to empty. And I had neighbors with Harleys, ugh, I told them when we moved in that I would be fine as long as they weren't revving during naptime! My windows would shake and rattle when they rode.
So glad we moved!
My large family comments are up at my TT!

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Ugh. I hate my neighbor's motorcycle too. Thankfully, they only play with it in the summertime on Saturdays.

Nature Girl said...

Oh those people that use the express lane make me crazy! I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold my tongue next time I see it..
Great TT, I played too.
Stacie

Lady G~ said...

Love you #6. I too can't bring myself to use the express lane if I have 21 items.

About #10 & #12: How very true. It feels like we've only had fall weather.

Dane Bramage said...

I LOVED Ringworld Engineers! Great book. And I wonder if a six pack of coke considered 1 or 6 items? I rarely go over the express lane limit and when I do it usually is with questionable items like "Buy 1 get one Free". The free one doesn't count right? I think that I am the only person who could over complicate an express lane.

Thanks for visiting my Thursday thirteen #27, the 13 Home Repair and Improvement Projects I Have to Do edition.

Colleen Gleason said...

Oh, my brother would love that bumper sticker about "Fish tremble at the sound of my name." He fancies himself quite the fisherman!!

Thanks for coming by my TT....I never heard that quote from Jack Handey, but I love it! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I love the bumperstickers! I'm one of those crazy people who will walk through a parking lot slowly if I see a bunch, just so I can read them. :)

Happy TT!

Chelle said...

I totally want to end up behind you in the 20 items or less lane at Walmart. I agree, not enough people adhere to the "rule" and it drives me nuts. Certainly, education has not failed us so desperately that people can no longer count to twenty. I hope.

K said...

I love the bumper sticker you mentioned in #1. That's funny

Barb said...

Now, why didn't I ever notice you are in Brevard County? I spent a large part of my childhood in Melbourne.. went to Eau Gallie High School. My grandma lived in Satellite Beach.

Di said...

Maybe Hill just has a big greenhouse outside her window and it's programmed to be spring there all year! Go Hillary!

Gotta look into that lo-carb ice cream for my husband. I will look like Pamela Anderson to him if I come in carrying ice cream he can eat on Atkins!

Di said...

Maybe Hill just has a big greenhouse outside her window and it's programmed to be spring there all year! Go Hillary!

Gotta look into that lo-carb ice cream for my husband. I will look like Pamela Anderson to him if I come in carrying ice cream he can eat on Atkins!

ms blue said...

That low carb ice cream sounds perfectly dreamy.

I have the exact same issues with fast checkout lanes.

As for deceitful politicians, it good to be a clear liar right from the beginning!

Mike said...

A good list of thoughts and bumper stickers. If you want a quiet Harley, but one and leave it factory stock, they're pretty quiet that way. Hillary made her intentions known this spring that she was interested in being President. Maybe this will prove her to be like her hubby when it comes to telling the truth about things.

Vicky said...

Great TT!

I hate ppl who bring more than the alotted items to the express checkout line too!

I once spent a week in New Jersey on the shores, every night I had nightmares of earthquakes or thunderstorms. I found out it was because of the serious bikers that live there.. storming through the streets in the middle of the night! Yeesh! Don't go to Jersey to relax! :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! Fudge Tracks is our family's favorite icecream, since we have 2 Diabetics. Our neighbor has a Harley too. I don't mind it during the day, but really early in the morning it's very startling.
Happy TT!