Wednesday, January 24, 2007

EPHESIANS 6:1

EPHESIANS 6:1
Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.


Yesterday, I wrote about Number One Daughter and I starting school at the same time; her in kindergarten and me, my second foray into college.

Number One Daughter has always been pretty headstrong, but in school, she responds really well to those teachers who are firm, authoritative, yet obviously love the kids too.

When she started kindergarten in Georgia in 1991, her teacher was a wonderful woman named Mrs. Wright.

Mrs. Wright seemed to me to be more magician than teacher, because those kids were reading before I would have ever thought it possible.

Lovely Wife must have given Number One Daughter ten thousand phonics drills, and Mrs. Wright would send them home with books every day.

This being a private school operated by a church, they also started having the kids memorize Bible verses.

I have to hand it to Number One Daughter, she soaked up the knowledge like a sponge.

So Lovely Wife would also help her repeat and memorize the memory Bible verses for class.

However, a problem soon arose.

Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

The only problem with memorizing this verse and pacticing it, was that Number One Daughter HEARD Mrs. Wright speak the verse as: Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for Mrs. Wright.

She was a hard headed kid, and refused to say, "for this is right." For her it was "for Mrs. Wright," no matter how we tried to explain it to her.

Lovely Wife had to go in and explain the situation to Mrs. Wright, who then took Number One Daughter aside and explained that the verse wasn't referring to her, Mrs. Wright.

Only after Mrs. Wright set her straight, did she believe us.

It wasn't the biggest problem in the world, but it was cute, even then.

But the girl sure stood her ground until her conference with Mrs. Wright, because Mrs. Wright's word, or what she thought was Mrs. Wright's word, carried much more weight than our's did.

Kids.


In the two pics I embedded in the post above, Number One Daughter is kindergarten age. Those photos were taken in the fall of 1991. Give them a click to enlarge.

This picture, I'm just putting on here for sheer amusement (my own). The girls are now 21 and 18, and I don't think they would let me make paper sack masks for them, and then actually put them on. The best part is that after taking out her pacifier to put on the bag, Number Two Daughter popped that thing right back in through the mouth hole. You can't script stuff like that.

Warning: This might be my last post ever. I might be killed when the girls see I put that photo up for the world to see.

But it's JUST SO CUTE!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've save this pic to my computer and tell them I'm going to blackmail them with it! Love the pacifier sticking out of Rachel's mouth!

JAM said...

Marsha, I cracked up when I was looking through slides to scan for this post. I wanted a couple of Rebekah at the age I was talking about. This "paper sack" photo was on the same roll of slides as the other two I posted. I had forgotten all about this picture.

Travis Cody said...

Too cute.

And they should know by now that Dad's job is to embarrass them with cute kid pictures at every opportunity!!!

Their job is to roll their eyes at you.

JAM said...

Travis, very well put. I'm just itching for the day when they each get engaged.

That's when I finally get to hatch my years-in-planning evil plot to show the future son in laws all the nekkid baby pictures I took of the girls when they were little.