Monday, May 01, 2006

United 93, The Movie


I can't go see this. I get really upset when seeing shows about the 9/11 attacks.

So, I avoid watching these things, knowing that my anger and frustration will make me want to explode, and have no real release.


You see, I haven't forgotten about 9/11. Not at all. Not a day goes by that I don't contemplate the attacks of that day and remind myself of why America is fighting two wars.


It sickens me to see almost all of the leaders of the Democratic party in the U.S. now have decided we did the wrong thing by invading Iraq. Clinton, Gore, Lieberman, and others, in the years running up to 2000, expressed publicly that Saddam's regime in Iraq was one of our biggest threats. That Iraq publicly backed Palestinian terrorists and was an avowed enemy of the U.S. They expressed concern over Iraqs weapons programs. I guess, if Iraq had no WMDs that all the rhetoric by all the Democrats before the 2000 U.S. Presidential election were lies too. And all their posturing and speeches were lies as well.

But now, hey, it was all a lie by George Bush, nobody else, even though they were making these same statements before Bush's first election as President.

And as usual, Americans have to have someone to blame for all they see wrong in the world. They blame the current President George Bush for acting on the very fears they themselves expressed repeatedly before Bush's election. They just didn't have the cojones to do anything about them.

Then came 9/11. And we now live in a different United States. The problem is that it has been long enough now for people to be complacent and get whiny again and want to pretend we are back in a pre-9/11 America and world.

But we are not in a pre-9/11 America any more. It's like wishing we had let the attack on Pearl Harbor slide and done nothing. But we fight a different type of enemy now. Not an individual country like Japan, but Al-Qaeda, with adherents in many countries. And we had a President at the time of the attacks that decided to 'take it to them' instead of always acting in reaction to attacks.

So here we are. In two wars, and so many who originally backed the ideas of the wars have wimped out. Their flip-flop on the issue doesn't change that we were attacked and we did the right thing by taking the fight to where the enemy lives.

But I'm not ready to see United 93. I'm still fired up enough without that.

I hope the movie does well and reminds people of why we're fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq. My wish is that knuckleheads like Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, and their ilk will go see it and get upset at our enemies instead of our President.

President Bush did the right thing just as the passengers of United 93 did. I need no reminders.

No comments: