Monday, May 22, 2006

Musical Weekend


I absolutely love music, and if you have read here for a while, you would know that I really lean towards guitar heavy music. The problem is, that although I am very blessed with a great job, I’ve had some health issues the past few years that caused me to miss a lot of work. We’re still trying to recover financially from my being on disability. Doin’ good, but things are still tight. This makes simple things like buying new CDs by favorite bands a bit difficult. The price of two CDs is like another bill, and that isn’t always easy to absorb.

But this past weekend, I broke down and bought POD's newest CD ‘Testify’ and also Kutless’s latest CD ‘Hearts Of The Innocent.’

Quick Aside: If you read this blog, you’ve gone also to the link on the right to Emily’s blog, Impressive Pizza. (If not, shame on you!) In her last post, she talks about Rap/Reggae sensation Matisyahu. (Sorry, I think it’s cool when they say ‘sensation’ about a rising star.) As Emily had ordered, I went and listened to his stuff, and although it’s not for me, it is undeniably well done music. I just really, really dislike straight up rap and reggae.

Anyway, I get the POD CD going and who is a guest star on the CD? You got it! Matisyahu. I can handle POD doing rap and reggae because they always throw in a heaping helping of distorted guitar. Kinda like a food you don’t like much but make palatable by adding extra salt and pepper, and maybe hot sauce.



POD ‘Testify’. After one complete listen, I’m gonna declare it to be 4 out of 5 stars.

I have to say that this CD is head and shoulders above the last one they did. I get a real good vibe from the CD and it is a good mix of really hard (heavy guitar) songs and softer ones. And the softer songs have a kind of dreamy sound to them. I love that dreamy, floating sound in the melody of a song. They lyrics are searching and hopeful and spiritual. I LIKE having to try to figure out what they’re talking about in a song and really dislike a lot of Christian music that uses the same tired ol’ Christian catch phrases.

Yeah, I know, I suck as a critic, but I’ve only listened to it once and am not prepared to give you a song by song break down. So, for now the 4 out of 5 stars and the great heavy guitar grooves by Jason Truby and the inspiring dreamy sounding slow songs will have to do. If yoose guys like POD even marginally, you’ll love this CD. There was only one song on there that gets a pass from me, and it’s really a total rap song. They shoulda thrown some more guitar at that one.



Kutless ‘Hearts Of The Innocent’. After one complete listen of this one, I’m gonna declare it to be 3.5 out of 5 stars.

But I reserve the right to up that star rating later. Only problem with declaring a star rating so early is the knowledge that many of my favorite CDs of all time were underwhelming on the first couple of listens. But after only one time through, I have to say that Kutless have come up with a really solid CD from one end to the other. In this day and time, one of my pet peeves is the knowledge that CDs cost little to produce and yet cost fifteen smackeroos, on average. So, if a CD only has a few good songs on it, I get upset. So a Cd that is good from end to end, even if not absolutely awesome, is fine with me. Plus I know already that this is one of those CD that will only get better with subsequent listenings. That is cool too and makes me look forward to listening to it more.

But I have to tell you, track number six ‘Winds Of Change’ is one of those songs that is worth the whole price of the CD. The music is great, lyrics are Awesome, and it is one of those songs that is a ‘total package.’ I love songs sung from God’s perspective.


So tell me all your dreams
Tell me all your fears and what you're longing for the most
It's not another way
That'll end up the same for it's under my control

I'll be the one who you can cry to
The one who will give you wings
I will give wings




So I have to recommend both the new POD ‘Testify’ and Kutless ‘Hearts Of The Innocent’ CDs to you. Both have a good mix of rockin’ tunes and slower, more thoughtful but super well-done songs as well.

Go get’em! Now!

No comments: