Saturday, July 07, 2007

Another Saturday Evening Post

I slept late, and have done little today.

Don't feel like getting out for photography, because it rained yesterday and the heat and humidity are beastly. Yeah, I'm feeling wimpy today, it's like Louisiana style heat and humidity out there right now.

For the past few weeks I've been having the weirdest thing happen. I wake up each morning with a different song in my head. I keep singing the words, if it's a song with lyrics, and the song's usually either on that I hate or just plain annoying.

I guess I should write them down, but I haven't.

The first morning this started, I had that Ma-nah, ma-nah. Beep-beep, ba-dee-dup. Ma-nah, ma-nah. Beep beed-eep eep. And the version in my head was an old Sesame Street skit where some muppet monsters sang this. Crazy.

This morning, the song was Bad Leroy Brown by Jim Croce.

And this is painful and I have to either put some music on the stereo to pound this out of my head or to listen to some of my favorites on my ipod for a while to get other songs going through my head.


Speaking of music, I get an email newsletter every week from Musician's Friend, and they have all kinds of "this week in rock 'n roll" kinds of things.

In today's newsletter it tells this tidbit that cracked me up:
This week in 1967, in one of the strangest rock and roll pairings ever, the Jimi Hendrix Experience joins The Monkees’ North American tour in Jacksonville, FL … the teenybopper crowds don’t know what to make of Hendrix’s wild performances, resulting in the Experience leaving the tour after only a few dates …

Is that crazy or what? I'd never heard of that.

Reminds me of when Number One Daughter was into the Backstreet Boys when she was 11 or 12 and a friend won a radio contest to go to one of those small, special concerts bands do sometimes.

So Number One Daughter's friend picks her to go along and in Orlando, they with 98 other friends and contest winners are treated to a special, more intimate, concert by the Backstreet Boys.

Guess who the opening act was for the Backstreet Boys? Creed. I kid you not.

Now if you're ignorant of who these two bands are, the Backstreet Boys were a "boy band" who didn't play any instruments, just sang and looked cute for all the pre-pubescent girls who came to their concerts.

Creed was a very hard rock band, at times bordering on heavy metal that within a year or so of the concert I'm talking about here, became rock and roll headliners in their own right.

But it's nearly equivalent to Jimi Hendrix opening for the Monkees to have Creed open for the Backstreet Boys.

'Til tomorrow...

4 comments:

Travis Cody said...

That's funny.

I feel for you on the song lyrics. I tend to get random lyrics running through my head in the shower.

All last week it was Carpenters tunes. Now I like the Carpenters, but really! Every day in the shower??

John Holland said...

I always thought that would have been a great concert to see...Jimi Hendrix opening for the Monkees.

Julie said...

Now about Creed...did Scott Stapp go Christian rock or not? I read something less then desirable about him within the last couple months.

Blogger said...

There's SHOCKING news in the sports betting industry.

It's been said that any bettor needs to see this,

Watch this or quit betting on sports...

Sports Cash System - Advanced Sports Betting Software.