Thursday, November 30, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #17


Thirteen Thoughts After Completing National Novel Writing Month


1. I'm surprised that I can write so freely on the computer. I have always much preferred to write with pen and paper. It's the blogging I've done for the past eight months that has made this possible. Cool.

2. It's harder to keep facts straight than I thought it would be. I made my novel up as I typed, and kept having to scroll back up to look up names, and time of day, and things of that nature during my writing.

3. This one is hard to explain. I've always felt the need to write character biographies and outlines, but never have been able to do it. Now that I have actually written a novel, I see what I personally need to work on before starting my next one. I think that from now on I'll be able to write effective character biographies and a general outline or plan of action before I write future novels. Make sense?

4. My characters used the word "yeah" a lot.

5. I need to relearn the proper use of quotations and punctuation. I was always so good at English in school, but it has been years since I was really concerned about punctuation. For example, I'm not sure of the proper way to write: "Are you too stupid to understand simple punctuation?" she asked.

6. Writing a novel for National Novel Writing Month has been one of the very few things of any value I have accomplished in the whole month of November, 2006.

7. My hero was too good to be true. He's a compilation of every trait I wish I had but don't. Basically he was Brad Pitt (looks) meets Arnonld Schwartzenegger (Conan's buff body) meets Jesus (always does the right thing).

8. I'm surprised that my hero and heroine didn't fall in love. The book ended with them just friends. Maybe next year, huh?

9. I thought going in, that my hero would change and that the villain would stay the same, be unrepentant to the end, and pay. My hero stayed the same, and the villian cracked, but he still paid for his transgressions.

10. It was nice knowing up front that I gave myself permission to write a bad novel. I never once dreaded sitting down to write because of the self induced pressure to perform perfectly. Don't get me wrong, I came up with all manner of lame excuses to avoid writing, but self pressure to write well wasn't one of them. It seems that is my main reason for failing to continue writing in the past.

11. I'm embarrassed by how truly bad my novel is, but I saw so many promising seeds in it that I know I can keep at it, and keep getting better and better.

12. Avoiding passive voice is something I now realize I have trouble with. ;-)

13. I didn't write each and every day of the month. I had to do some catching up in the last half of the month, but I am astonished at how fast and easy the words add up. I needed to average 1667 words per day, but some days were 0, and some were 6000. The 6000 word days weren't very hard either. Thankfully there were only a couple of those necessary.




The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

16 comments:

Norma said...

Congratulations for even finishing! I tried it a few years ago, and I think I wrote one day. I love to write, but if I have to, I just freeze. And like you, I don't know the story untill it comes out the end of my fingers.

My TT is up.

Unknown said...

That's wonderful! Congratulations on finishing! Quite an accomplishment!

Have a great Thursday!

Bubba said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment! I keep saying I need to write a novel...*sigh* someday...but you actually did it! I am so proud of you!

Oh, and happy TT.... =)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting through it!

http://bluestarchronicles.com/2006/11/30/thursday-thirteen-4/

Anonymous said...

However bad it might have been, at least you finished! That's awesome.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on winning NaNo!! Such a fabulous achievement!

Emily said...

Congratulations!!

Are you going to post any of it? Just excerpts? Or even maybe a summary? I'm curious to know what your novel was about!

I get confused even writing short stories.

1) I always have so much in my mind that the plot is never simple enough to be contained in 2 or 3 pages. Or even ten pages. So I start writing this story, which basically would take the length of a novel to tell, but get bored of it because it's taking so long.

2) I get annoyed at my own lameness, and again with how long it takes. Like you said, backstories, character histories etc. No wonder it took Tolkien like, 10 years or whatever to write Lord of the Rings! It's an accomplishment enough to think of a good storyline, but then you have to go about adding all these little backstories to make the characters more real...sheesh.

3)Or I don't know what my story is before I write it and get stuck on technicalities and tying up the plot. Sometimes I have no idea how to solve my own problems I make for the protangonist.

So high five on finishing!! It's a fantastic feat =)

Dane Bramage said...

Congrats! You are a better man than I am! I think I will do better next year.

My Thursday Thirteen # 21 is up now. It is the Photo Church Tour Edition Stop by if you get a chance!

Smurf said...

Good for you, I am glad you were able to finish it... but you know, when I was younger I could write and write and write on paper, now I like to type on the pc... sometimes I will print it out and think and come up with edits, other ideas and parts with a pen on that printed page and then I go back to typing.. interesting how everyone has their own style. Happy TT!

JAM said...

To all, thanks.

I do not plan to post any of my book on the blog.

The only reason I was able to do the thing at all, was because the whole idea of it is to totally not worry about quality, only quantity. Every word up to and over 50k was honest, original effort, but make no mistake, it is painfully bad. Truly bad.

Lovely Wife and our daughters have been begging me to let them read it, but I feel like I just drew my first every picture in art class, and am too embarrassed to show it.

But it's basically about a young man whose parents died when he was a teen, and now lives alone, happens across an almost-murder and stops it, and the chaos it puts into his life.

This thing will never see the light of day, but there are some good seeds in there, and it was a great learning experience.

Shelby said...

Happy Thursday!:)

Anonymous said...

congratulations on completing your novel. Can I ask the name of it?

Thanks for visiting me! Drop by sometime soon! :)

Caylynn said...

Congratulations on finishing! :) It sounds like you learned a lot about the writing process. What a great accomplishment. :)

Have a good day. :)

Caylynn & Dragonheart
http://caylynn.blogspot.com
http://dragonheartsdomain.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Yay! I think you and Bubba are the only boy TT-ers I've found. So maybe I'm not looking so hard...

twiga92 said...

That's great that you were able to finish. I started NaNo but determined that the pressure doesn't suit my style and figured I'd work at my novel on my own pace. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!