Sunday, November 12, 2006

Picture Post, Sunday November 12, 2006

First off, I want to say congratulations to former U.S. President Gerald Ford, who, by being alive today, although recovering from sickness, and being 93 years and 121 days old, becomes the oldest ex-US President ever. Ronald Reagan is now second, who lived to 93 years, 120 days. John Adams, our second President, held the age record until Ronald Reagan passed him in 2001.

Liberals in this country always made fun of him, as if he was a complete idiot, but he was always, and still is, a perfect example of class and restraint, both as a Congressman from Michigan and as President. Compare him to former Presidents Carter and Clinton, and he shines with a class that those two bottom feeders cannot even hope to ever approach. Carter and Clinton have the dubious distinction of being the first two former U.S. Presidents who publicly criticised a sitting President; proving beyond doubt they fully deserve their reputations as laughing stocks.

They should both learn something from Mr. Ford's example of class and grace. But they won't, they're too arrogant.


For the photos, I finally ride my 1983 visit to the U.S.S. Alabama in Mobile Bay to the ground. These are the last I'll post from that trip, but I love so many I took there.

This first one is of the U.S.S. Drum, a submarine moored next to the Alabama. You can tour it too, but I wouldn't recommend it if you have claustrophobia. I'm a big guy, and not very scared, but this almost freaked me out. It was very interesting and gave me a true respect for those who have served on subs.


Someone with more knowledge than me could say for sure, but I'm thinking this was a p-51 Mustang, a "Flying Tiger" used by General Chenault and his men in China before WWII, to fight off the Japanese who had invaded China.


An F-86 Sabre Jet, which, if I'm not mistaken was used in both the Korean War and in Viet Nam. I always have thought, and still do, that these fighters were some of the best looking planes we ever used.


I couldn't resist a final two photos of the Alabama itself.


This shows the Alabama's battle ribbons and you can see it's markings from Pacific island campaigns and also markings for each Japanese war plane it shot down.

No comments: