Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Something Smells Terrible!

What IS that smell?

Oh, I know.

It's my novel for National Novel Writing Month that I've been working on.

Le Peu! Moi No-VELL Iz terry-BULL!

As of this post, I'm at 47,680 words, so I should cross over the goal of 50,000 words tonight sometime.

I still have more to go to finish the actual story, but I will have met the NaNoWriMo goal of an original novel of at least 50,000 words, written entirely in the month of November.

So if y'all check back tomorrow, I should have the little word tracking widget over on the right hand side of this page over 50k words.

If I cross the line tonight, I will have done so on the 29th day out of an available 30 days in November.

I hope the words keep a-flowin'.


Here are some more gratuitous photos to fill up space for you to admire, until I finish NaNoWriMo and can start writing decent blog posts again.

These were all taken recently behind the Melbourne, Florida public library on Fee Avenue. There's a huge pond behind the library, with a walkway around it. It's a pleasant place to relax, right in the middle of the hustle of Melbourne.






Brave ducks.

5 comments:

Brian Mc said...

Cool shots, Jam!

Emily said...

I love that line "brave ducks."

JAM said...

Brian, thank you.

Emily, I thought the sign alone was pretty cool, then the Ducky McDuckerson family calmly swam by and I had my shot. Though, now that I think of it, ducks can up and fly away, and the average alligator can outrun a man, especially a gravitationally challenged on with a nerve-damaged, gimpy leg, and a bad back.

Maybe I was the brave one and didn't know it. Oh well, no harm done.

Emily said...

An alligator can outrun a man? But their legs are so close to the ground and their stomachs drag on the ground too.

It's wierd how that works. I guess the same reason a big burly bear that you'd think would just amble along everywhere can outrun a man too. Sheesh.

JAM said...

Yeah, an alligator can run very fast for short distances. They raise their bodies up above ground on their legs and can run very quickly.

Every year down here, we hear stories on the news every month or so, about how someone's dog becomes dinner. The dogs stand near the water's edge and bark at the gators, and a gator'll scoot out and grab the dog and drag them back into the water. This happens with small children every year or two as well.

A week or so ago, I think over near Orlando, several cops saved a man's life by jumping in the water where an alligator had a man and was trying to make off with him. The man lived, but lost part of his left arm.

See here: http://cbs13.com/watercooler/watercooler_story_334114652.html