Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Do You Know Who You Are?

I have always wanted to see someone famous, and be in a situation where I could good naturedly say, "Do you know who you are?!", as if I was an awe struck fan.

And the one chance I had to do this, I wimped out.

In November of 2000, a friend at church who works for NASA, got a bunch of V.I.P. passes to STS-97, a night space shuttle launch. And the V.I.P. passes put you at the closest place allowed to watch the shuttle. He gave them out to church members and family who wanted to go.

We all met at the church, and from my family, only Number 2 Daughter (N2D) and Myself were going.

We travelled up to the Visitor's Center for Kennedy Space Center, and from there we were bussed over to the viewing stands, right next to that building that has an actual Saturn V booster inside. We bought some food and drink, and then went outside in the stands to wait.

Over time the stands filled up, and then at around 10:00pm, the shuttle went up.

I will never forget this. It is truly a sight to behold, and hear, to witness a night space shuttle launch.

Of course Number 2 Daughter had run off with some other kids, being bored and all, and I told her to meet me at the bus after the launch.

One problem. They had moved and re-arranged all of the busses while we were watching the launch.

Now I was praying that she would remember the bus number we were on, because you had to go back to your car at the Visitor Center on the same bus you left on.

I'm tall, so I found our bus right away, and started a vigil, standing as tall as possible right beside our bus door so N2D could find me, instead of me running around and looking for her.

So I'm standing there, and people are streaming by, all confused because no one expected them to move the busses, and looking back and forth, in the 'row' I was standing in, for N2D.


I'm looking closely at everyone, when I see about 20 paces away, a guy that looks JUST LIKE PETER FRAMPTON! (Ok, youngsters, Peter Frampton was a 16 year old wunderkind on the guitar in England with his first band The Herd, and became famous as a part of the 60's group, Humble Pie. In the 70's he released what is still the largest selling live album ever, called "Frampton Comes Alive". It was a monster of a success and he had a lot of charted songs in the 70's, maybe into the 80's. He bowed to record company pressure and started trying to get sales based on his good looks, instead of just trying to keep putting out good music, and flopped. But he's still been doing music all of these years, and is still considered a guitar hero. Certainly he's one of mine.)

Anyway, here comes Peter Frampton (I'm pretty sure) and he's talking to a dark haired teenaged girl. She says something, and he grins and laughs.

This CONVINCES me that it's him. He's one of those people that grins and shows every tooth in his head, and he has a husky voice and a British accent. (He looks quite different than in is heyday, what hair he has is gray and cut really short. But I had seen him in guitar magazines and I knew what he looked like now.)

I pat my shirt. No pen or pencil.

I look in my pockets. Nope. No paper either.

Crikey mates! An engineer with not one pen or pencil? It's an outrage! A "real" engineer would never be caught pen-less!


Plus he's walking by now, with the girl, and I didn't want to stop them, in the middle of his conversation, around the throngs of people looking for their moved busses, so I just watch.

They walk on by, never once looking at me. And N2D finally shows up (phew!).

On the bus, everyone's talking about how they got to meet Jeb Bush (W's brother and the Florida governor) but I'm just riding along only half-way listening.

I didn't meet Jeb, but I saw Peter Frampton. I just couldn't tell anyone, because hey, these folks I'm with from church most likely don't have a clue as to who Peter Frampton is.

Had he been alone, I would have said something to him. But like I said, he was in an animated conversation with this girl, so I held back.

I told Lovely Wife, and a few others about it. And then several months later, I don't know what channel it was on, but there was a biography of Peter Frampton on television. I think it was a Biography on A&E.

I watched the whole thing, and at the end, they showed a picture of Peter, his Wife, and Step-Children. The oldest step child was the teenage girl I saw him with that night.

So I'm personally convinced that I saw Guitar Great Peter Frampton. At a space shuttle launch of all places.

But I didn't have the guts to go up and interrupt his conversation and shake his hand, much less ask, "Do you know who you are?!"

6 comments:

Anomaly said...

Don't worry, I'm still incredibly envious (even though I still don't know exactly who Peter Frampton is - edumacate me?).

No celebrity close-encounters for me just yet (or shuttle-launches), so I'll just have to dream.

Oh, and I love the Mellow-Dad/Getting-a-Tattoo-Dad thing! Just glad my dad's a little more predictable ;)

Anomaly
(Who's having an annoying amount of trouble getting a profile pic up there)

Anonymous said...

That is so cool.

I have to tell you. It's really hard for me to read regular blogs, I got used to photoblogs and the instant gratification of a single photo. You're is one of the few that I actually read because your first few lines of a story suck me in (others I read because of obligation to friends etc). I love your stories.

Frampton would be cool to meet. I have met celebrities before but I try my hardest to do the opposite of you. I want to act as if I dont' know them at all, or at least that I don't care who they are. It's surprisingly hard (even with those you really don't care about) because a little bit of excitement always hits me.

anyway, great story.

JAM said...

Anomaly, nothing to be envious of. The whole shuttle launch thing is just a nice by-product of living in this area. We try to see every one that we can because we know that one day we may be far away and cannot. It is super cool though.

About Peter Frampton, if you follow the link I attached to the words Frampton Comes Alive on my post, it will take you to this album on Amazon.com. Scroll down and listen to the song links for "Show Me The Way", "Baby I Love Your Way", and "Do You Feel Like We Do." Chances are that you have heard at least one, if not all of them. Just Google his name too, I know that he has an 'official site' because he now puts out guitar effect pedals under his own name. There has to be a bio of him on there somewhere.

I'm actually about as predictable as it gets, but I tend to go for the jazz when I'm stressed, because it's calming, and metal when I'm in a good mood and feeling rowdy.

Faustina. Thank you so much for the complement. That means a lot to me.

You have to understand that I’m the poster boy for not getting excited when someone ‘big’ is around. As the old saying goes, they put their pants on one leg at a time just like I do. Unless, of course, they use the roll-back-on-the-bed-and-poke-both-legs-in-at-the-same-time, routine. Which I never do. You get my drift. This is kind of a running gag with my daughters, that I would say that if I met someone famous. I had my chance, and had he been alone, or even not so engaged with the girl, I would have tried to shake his hand. I’m the type to be satisfied that I got to see him. Well, I’m 99.9% sure I saw him. But a hand shake would have been better than an autograph to me.

Anomaly said...

Sure enough, you're right :)

Do you feel like we do rings a bell, and I know Baby I love your way - though I didn't really know who'd written it.

I see I'm going to have to get stateside one day to see a shuttle launch for myself - even just as a slender line of light would be pretty cool I think.

You know, the difference between seeing a game of (for example) baseball on TV and actually being there to see it in person?

I like the voice of your blog, and you can pretty much rely on me being a regular reader :)

Looking forward to your next post,

Anomaly

JAM said...

Anomaly, thank you for reading and for the nice comments. You're right about seeing something live versus seeing on, say, TV. Bands usually sound better live, etc.

I've talked about the shuttle several times on this blog. I have some pics from a month ago that I took of the July 4 launch: http://jamspeaks.blogspot.com/2006/07/aaaaand-theyre-off.html

And also a cool picture of the shuttle that someone else took: http://jamspeaks.blogspot.com/2006/03/space-shuttle.html

Thanks for reading. I'll try not to bore you into a catatonic state.

Oh yeah, and just ignore me when I go into a political rant.

Anomaly said...

Thanks again!

Pictures are great (and, I admit, only whet my appetite for more).

Don't worry, I'm sure you won't be putting me to sleep any time soon - even with politics, which I can occasionally be a teensy bit outspoken about.

Sometimes 0:)

Speaking of the live music thing, I get to go see The Panda Band on Friday Night which should be good - will write about them after I get back (as well as hopefully knowing why the name).

Nearly did the Thursday 13, but found I'd already posted (and lacked inspiration anyway). Next week :)

Take care,

Anomaly