Monday, July 07, 2008

I Keep Waiting


I keep waiting for something profound to pop into my head and then I'd type it all out and post it here and then bask in the glory of the comments from all the changed lives.

But really, I've got thuthin'.

Lovely Wife was nice enough to prepare a whole bunch of stuff for July 4, and then I crawled out of bed at 4pm and trotted out on the field and threw the game winning touchdown, er, grilled a bunch of hamburgers and hot dogs.

Same old whiny story, except my back was hurting even more than usual, and me and my buddies, Lortab and Skelaxin got the grillin' done and then we all ate like animals.

Years ago when I worked for Delta Air Lines, I got a recipe from a coworker for fruit pizza.

Fruit pizza is a dessert that is made with sugar cookie as "crust" and cream cheese and I forget what else as the "sauce" and then you chop up a bunch of fruits like kiwi, strawberries, bananas, pineapple, mandarin oranges and so forth as the "toppings" and finally a sugary-fruity glaze is drizzled all over the top.

She bought enough stuff to make two fruit pizzas, and of course the first one was demolished that night of the 4th. Then she made another one on the 5th, and we ate on it for a couple more days.

That's easily the best desert I've ever tasted, and we hadn't made it in years, so it was even better after so long.

I love to read, so I've still been on my almost-year-long science fiction kick, and when my back wakes me up and keeps me from sleeping, I go read for a while, and I'll tell you, some science fiction writers have THE most amazing imaginations.

But it's a very rare science fiction writer that has that super imagination AND is able to write really well.

My favorite science fiction writer so far, and by far, is Jack McDevitt. He's the only author so far that has me wanting to go and buy copies of every one of his books, because I know I'll want to read them all over again in a few years. He's a great writer for pulling you into the story so that you feel like you've gone along on his adventures.

Some of the books I've checked out are so bizarre that I had no idea what the author was talking about, so I just read for a while and then finally have to put those away.

I also read all four of the Space Odyssey books by Arthur Clarke, 2001, 2010, 2060, and 3001. The first two were really good, while 2060 was mediocre and 3001 wasn't very good at all.

Mr. Clarke definitely phoned in 3001. It was as if he wrote a list of everything he thought was wrong in present day earth and showed how all of those "problems" were done away with in the next thousand years. Books where an author injects all of his or her likes and dislikes into book form, with a thin coating of fictional story on top, sounds really preachy and I found myself talking back at Mr. Clarke and rolling my eyes with 3001.

At any rate, my recent foray into reading lots of science fiction has been fun, but I find that I have to bring home at least two books from the library for every one I want to read. In other words, if I want 3 or 4 books to last me a couple of weeks, I need to check out at least 6 or 8, because I end up putting half of them down.

So, between hurting, working, and reading, I haven't done much worth blogging about.

I wanted to get out and take some photographs this past weekend, but it has been raining on and off most every day, so when I get up and feel like going, it's usually raining.

That leaves reading.

I could write about politics again, but I need to keep my blood pressure in check, so I'm laying off that for a while.

Take care folks, and I'll be around when I can.

5 comments:

none said...

I like heinlein, clarke, asimov etc.. I'll be sure to check out
McDevitt.

Qtpies7 said...

I don't read much science fiction. I'm not even sure if I have, does Star Trek count? LOL

Rockstar Mom said...

Sorry about the back. I know how bad that hurts.

Anonymous said...

How about the Dune series? Frank Herbert? My big sis loves those. If you want to try something different George RR Martin has a series out called "A Song of Ice and Fire" the first book is "A Game of Thrones". Not science fiction, more in the fantasy area, but not the pauper becomes the king either. Very good!! There are four books out now and a couple more to come before the series ends.

photowannabe said...

I love the fruit pizza. Thanks for reminding me about it. I haven't made it in a long time. Time to rummage through the recipies for it.
hope you et some relief from the back and I'm glad to see you back to blogging again.